Many people have difficulty hanging artwork to really showcase it. The artwork is usually hung too high, groupings are too spaced out or there are just too many pieces to even enjoy them. Below are steps to correctly and effectively hang artwork.
Before you start hanging your artwork, take all of the pieces down. Starting with a clean slate helps your eye see the space it has to work with.
- Go through your pieces and chose the ones you really love. Store the rest for next season or next year, when you can switch them out. Or donate/sell the ones you will not use.
- Try and chose pieces that work together thematically or stylistically.
- Your eyes need a place to rest, so chose a wall or large space to designate as an “Art-Free Zone”. Remember you do not need to cover every wall with artwork.
- A large window or sliding glass door counts as “Living Art” so it is not necessary to hang artwork on these walls. You do not want the artwork to compete.
- One large vertical piece in the center and two medium sized horizontal pieces on either side. This version is very symmetrical and balanced.
- You can do a variety of pieces in one grouping and by doing either even or odd numbered pieces, you will create a different look. When doing large groupings with as many pieces as 11, chose pieces with different sizes and shapes but make sure the pieces correspond with each other in some way.
- Many people think all of the frames need to be exactly the same when creating a grouping. Not the case. Sometimes, frames that are not a like at all can create a very artistic piece. You can also add in mirrors intermixed with prints to really create a unique look.
- To create a tight, well thought out grouping, place only 2-3 inches in between each piece. Anymore and the grouping loses its impact.
Rule of thumb: Artwork is to be enjoyed at “eye level” but to everyone that is a different height so put the artwork at the height you think it should be at and then lower it three inches.
Remember: The designers are Experience and Creative Design are always available to assist with which pieces to hang, where to hang them and actually hanging them for you. Do not hesitate to call or stop by the store with questions!
Stop by Experience and Creative Design today to purchase your 2013 Vanguard Show House tickets! Show House opens April 30th!